Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Being a working dad sucks

My wife is a teacher in a high school so she is off for the summer.  Today she took Declan to the beach with her mom and I'm jealous.  She was nice/cruel enough to send me a short video of the little guy playing with his shovel in the sand and it was great to see, but I also wish I could be there.

I am finding that balancing family/work/me/chore time is a very difficult thing to do and some people have a clearly different idea of how I should spend all of my time than I do, but I am doing the best that I can and doing what I think is right.  Unfortunately I can't spend 100% of my time as family time but I do find that I cherish the time with my family more because of this.  Even when we are doing "nothing", like watching TV or going shopping I have found that I enjoy that time just as much as the fun stuff (like going swimming or to the zoo).

Wish - I wish that Declan will one day play an instrument.  I wish I had the time and the talent to learn an instrument.  I played the drums in school and I could probably still hold a beat but it's my wish Declan takes an interest to an instrument and carries that with him for the rest of his life.  Maybe someday I'll have the time to learn an instrument too and we can "jam" together.

No comments:

Post a Comment