Friday, July 20, 2012

Accept everyone

The recent news of the Boy Scouts of America still not allowing gay people to participate in scouting activities has really struck a nerve with me.  Let me say up front that I am an Eagle Scout and some of my most fond memories of growing up are from scouting.  So much so that a few months ago I bought Declan a rather expensive but totally cute tshirt that looks like a scout uniform.  I really want Declan to have some of those same experiences cause of how much I loved them.  Now I know he may not want to do scouting and that's fine with me if that's his choice. 

The issue is that I want to teach Declan to accept everyone, regardless of how they may be different than you.  So how can I then support him joining a group who's policies say that gays can't participate?  I don't want to support any group that discriminates against other people, and the fact that the BSA are one of those groups is truly ripping me up inside.

Wish - I wish that Declan will always judge people not by their differences but how they treat others.

No comments:

Post a Comment